Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Carnage Recap & Reflections

So...I fell off the wagon again with work, life, etc. being a little busy lately.

I missed posting the last few weeks of training leading up to RPS Christmas Carnage, but I did compete on December 6th.

Squat: 720, 750, 770

Bench: 525, missed 550 twice at lockout

Deadlift: 635, 665 (5 lb PR), missed 685


So...2 years after my knee surgery I finally managed to go 3 for 3 in the squat. Didn't hit a PR, but I'm happy to finally be on the right track.

I accomplished my main goal and qualified for the XPC Finals...which will be my next meet in March.

 I made a few training changes as well...I went back to the old Westside Circa Max template...the new template calls for a max single 3 weeks out, 80% 2 weeks out and 50% 1 week out. I instead worked up to 80% 3 weeks out for a double, briefs only: followed by 100% 2 weeks out, suit straps down; followed by 50% briefs only for 3 doubles 1 week out. It seemed to work, so I'm going to stick with it.

I struggled with my bench shirt in September and most of my training cycle, but after talking to some people and realizing I was tucking too hard to soon, I was able to fix that and my opener was a smoke show. However, I missed 550 twice at lockout...I've been having some tricep tendon issues in my right arm and I think that was part of the issue. I will also be focusing even more on my top end strength leading up to XPC, as well as looking into a new bench shirt (mine might be spanked).

I was very happy with my deadlift...finally, a PR after almost 5 years! I switched back to sumo for this meet after finding out during training that adding my predator briefs under the T-rex suit I pull in is a good combo for me. Even though I missed 685, I feel confident that 700 is right around the corner. I will continue to pound my mid/upper back with volume as this seemed to work this last training cycle.

So...now it's on to XPC. With only 12 training weeks until the meet, I don't have much time to experiment and I will simply focus on a few things:

    Squat: Focus will be on adding in some ME good mornings and also making my first asssitance
               movement each ME day a heavy, low rep builder...thinking of rotating Zerchers, good
               mornings, lunges and front squats for 5x5s. I am also going to experiment with switching
               back to a Leviathan suit if I can get my hands on one.

    Bench: Focus will be on top-end. All raw ME work will either be off boards/pins or with
                bands/chains. Also, all shirt work will be off 2-3 boards or with reverse bands. Also, I will
                be experimenting with a new shirt.

    Deadlift: No big changes. I feel that the high volume back work this training cycle lead to the PR,
                    so I will be continuing that, as well as doing glute hams every week.

Goals for XPC: My main goal is to total over 2000...I was 2 missed lifts away from that this past meet. I would also like to get my squat back over 800, but it remains to be seen if that will happen. I know I can total over 2 grand even with a high 700 squat. A perfect day would be 800/550/700.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment