Monday, March 23, 2015

3/6/15 XPC Meet Recap

So I sort of fell off the bus...busy schedule...wasn't able to keep my training up-to-date leading up to this meet. Only thing I really did different was use a combo of heavy bands w/ 160 lbs chains for my circa-max due to a nagging rib strain injury.

Making weight was rough...I was 240 a week out from the meet, which is 5 lbs heavier than I've ever been at that point. Morning of weigh ins, 14 hours into my water cut I was still sitting at 228. So off to the sauna. After what seemed like forever (honestly probably 8-10 20-minute sessions) my scale said I was 220.4, so off to weigh in I went. Apparently, the scale was reading heavy...or so alot of others told me...and I weighed 221! So...back for 2 more sauna sessions. After this, I went back for re-weigh and came in at 219.9. By far my worst cut to date...going to have to control my training weight better next time!

Meet day was a bit of a fiasco...only 2 flights, only 10 lifters per flight so warm-ups felt rushed. Weights felt light, and I smoked my 760 opener, so I went strait to 810 for my 2nd attempt for a PR. I squatted down and up as easy as the first, but got red-lighted for depth. Since the weight felt good, I decided to jump to 820 for my 3rd. It wasn't meant to be...I got out of the groove on my way up, so there I was, biggest meet of my life and only credited with a 760 squat...not the start I was looking for.

There was no break between squat and bench, so I was able to watch first attempts of flight 2 before I had to start warming up. Warm-ups went great, and I smoked my 540 opener (which was only 5 lbs less than my previous PR). I jumped to 570 for a good 2nd attempt...it felt so easy, I decided to go right to 600 on my 3rd. 600 came down, and went all the way to lockout, but I got out of the groove midway up and had to readjust...the judges said there was an up/down movement so no lift. Nevertheless, 570 was a 25 lb PR, and 600 was a moral victory, so I'll take it!

On to the deadlift...again, there was no break from bench to deadlift so I rushed my warm-ups a bit...most critically, I was drinking HUGE quantities of Gatorade because I started cramping during the bench...and I forgot to piss before getting into my deadlift suit. So, by the time I pulled my 650 opener, the urge to pee was rising! 650 went fine, and I jumped right to 675. It got out in front of me (everyone said the platform felt like it was leaning downhill), but I was able to grind it out for a 10 lb PR. By this time, my bladder was in danger of exploding, and my total was at 2005...I had no chance of hitting a 2050 to qualify for the Westside Invitational (which was one of my goals), so I shut it down and passed on my 3rd attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment